How to Know When You Need Garage Door Repair
Is your garage door not operating as smoothly, efficiently and reliably as it used to? Most homeowners use their garage doors every day to easily leave and enter their homes. But with constant use, experiencing garage door wear and tear is normal. The best way to know when you need garage door repairs — to prevent inconvenient and potentially hazardous garage door breakage — is to note any unusual operation or sounds that may indicate trouble.
Do You Need Garage Door Repairs?
While garage doors are designed and constructed to perform dependably for up to 20 years with proper maintenance and care, damaged hardware can occur over time. As you notice operational issues, address these needs quickly to reduce emergency repair costs and prevent inconvenient events that could leave you stranded outside your garage.
To know whether you need garage door repair, note the following signs:
- Noisy Door Operations: Garage doors usually make noise while operating, so how can you tell when the sounds from your door or opener are unusual? While using your garage door, listen for any unpleasant sounds like straining, grating, rubbing or grinding. These could indicate damage to your garage door opener motor or worn and loose pieces of hardware, like the rollers or springs.
- Door Won’t Open Manually: While you may not have to manually open your garage door often, being able to do so is crucial in cases of door failure or during a power outage. If you cannot easily lift your garage door by hand, then you may have issues with your spring system. Springs are responsible for counterbalancing the weight of your door and ensuring smooth and simple opening and closing. They typically last up to 10 years.
- Slow Door Response: After sending a command to your garage door, it should respond without delay within two seconds. If your door hesitates to raise and lower when instructed, it could indicate that your remote battery is dead, a malfunction with your remote or a damaged opener.
- Sagging or Off-Balance Garage Door: Check if there are gaps beneath the door or if it is visibly sagging. Garage doors with gaps beneath the seal could indicate misalignment, an improperly installed door or uneven spring wear. These damages could lead to minor issues like damaged hardware or serious, unexpected breakages. One way to check the condition of your door is by performing a balance test: unlatch your door from the opener and lift the door halfway on its track. If the door springs open or closed, the door is off-balance.
- Dented or Damaged Door Panels: Damaged garage doors aren’t only unattractive, but can also affect the overall quality and functionality of your system. Dented garage door panels could cause affect your door’s alignment and overall door balance, cause strain on other parts and hardware and damage the track, eventually leading the door to become off-track.
Blankenship Garage Doors: Bend, OR’s Most Trusted Garage Door Repair Specialists
For the most experienced, friendly and efficient garage door repair and maintenance services throughout the Bend, OR, area, rely on the professionals at Blankenship Garage Doors. We have over 20 years of garage door servicing experience and are dedicated to providing all of our local customers with the most reliable, affordable and personalized repair solutions. Schedule garage door repair services today by completing our online service request form or call 541-383-2658 to speak to a team member.
Can I Replace a Damaged Panel of My Garage Door?
Early one morning, you’re running late for work and didn’t have time to make any coffee before leaving. Quickly getting into the car and throwing the car into reverse, you lose your train of thought for a moment and back the car right into your garage door. Once you gather your thoughts and retreat to safety, you may wonder how you should attempt to fix the garage door.
Your garage door is one of the most important features of your home. The door provides protection for stored items and facilitates safe entry, so having your door quickly repaired after experiencing damage is crucial. Restoring your garage door to its pristine and sturdy condition after an impact or other incident is simple depending on the damage to your door. Most damages occur on the bottom panels of garage doors and can be easily fixed by replacing the garage door panels.
How to Know When to Replace Garage Door Panels
After your garage door has been impacted or heavily damaged, you may assume the only method to fix the panels is to replace the entire system. However, depending on the extent of the damage, replacing the affected garage door panels may be the best solution. Garage door panel replacement is the ideal repair option for your damaged garage door if:
- The manufacturer of your garage door still produces the make and model of your door. If your home features an older model, obtaining the proper panels and hardware may be difficult and expensive.
- Only one or two panels were damaged. If three or more panels of your garage door were impacted, then replacement may be more costly than installing an entirely new door.
- The damage to your garage door is primarily cosmetic. If your garage door still performs reliably and smoothly, then consider panel replacement if the only harm includes peeling paint, denting, cracks or surface corrosion.
When you trust a professional garage door repair company to inspect your system, they’ll be able to quickly determine the condition of your door and recommend garage door repair and replacement options depending on your needs and budget.
Garage Door Repair vs. Replacement
Sometimes, the damage to your garage door is too severe for practical and efficient repairs and garage door replacement is the best option. To determine if you would benefit from a garage door replacement, consider:
- The age and quality of your garage door
- If additional pieces of hardware are damaged
- If the expenses for repairing your existing door exceeds the cost of purchasing a new garage door
Trust a Professional for All of Your Garage Door Repairs
No matter which replacement and repair option best suits your needs and budget, garage door repairs should always be performed by a professional. Garage doors are one of the largest pieces of moving equipment in your home and operate under an extreme amount of tension. Homeowners who attempt to make repairs themselves could be at risk for severe personal and property injury. By trusting a professional garage door technician to perform quality repairs, you’ll also ensure:
- You’re properly adhering to specific insurance policy repair guidelines.
- The door was repaired safely and correctly according to manufacturer instructions and without damaging other garage door parts.
- Lasting peace of mind, with service and labor warranties often offered by professional garage door repair companies.
Contact Blankenship Garage Doors Today
If you’re a homeowner in Bend, OR, or the surrounding region, call the experts at Blankenship Garage Doors for all of your garage door panel repair and replacement needs. Our highly trained and experienced technicians can quickly and easily perform repairs that will prolong the lifespan of your door, ensure safe long-term use and improve the appearance of your home. Call us today at 541-383-2658 to learn more or complete our online estimate form to request a free service quote.
Do I Need Insulated Garage Doors in Oregon?
Oregon is one of the most scenic and temperate locations in the country to call home. But with such ideal temperatures and weather conditions, do local homeowners need to invest in additional energy efficiency products and upgrades?
One of the main reasons why homeowners are encouraged to check out insulated garage doors is for improving energy efficiency during variable climates. And while Oregon temperatures are rarely extreme with blistering heat waves or freezing conditions, average temperatures throughout the state can reach above 80 degrees or dip into the 20s. During these temperature shifts, you’ll want to ensure your indoor environments are comfortable.
The best method for enjoying endless relaxation in your home every day is with an insulated garage door. Insulated garage doors are growing in popularity for many Bend, OR, homeowners because of their attractive finishes, superior energy savings and lasting durability.
The Benefits of Insulated Garage Doors
Garage doors are primarily responsible for giving homeowners a safe and convenient entrance to their houses, but a new garage door can also improve curb appeal, value and lifestyle. One of the greatest assets of modern garage door designs is added insulation.
Because garages are not considered living spaces, they’re built using different guidelines and aren’t sealed or insulated as effectively as other areas of your home. Through these construction gaps, air and moisture can easily leak through into your garage. Insulated garage doors have additional layers not included with a standard single-layer door, to better protect, insulate and regulate your garage, preventing outdoor elements from negatively affecting your interiors.
With additional garage door insulation, you’ll also find these advantages:
- Greater Energy Efficiency: Garages allow the warm and cool air from your home your seep out through the cracks, or let outside climates inside. Insulated garage doors prevent this air transference. By reducing the air exchange, your HVAC system won’t have to function as hard or frequently, which will reduce your annual energy costs.
- Exceptional Durability: Insulated garage doors are crafted using additional material layers, meaning these doors better resist normal wear and tear like sagging, dents and weather-related harm. Stronger doors also offer better home protection against severe storms or unwanted intruders.
- Controlled Environments: When it’s incredibly cold or hot, do you find yourself scurrying through your garage to quickly access your car for protection? With an insulated garage door, you can have more comfortable and controlled temperatures and garage environments.
- Improved Protection: Added insulation not only better regulates your indoor temperatures for comfort, but a proper barrier from climate extremes can also protect the items stored in your garage. Chemicals and paint can easily deteriorate, lose potency or become safety hazards, and vehicles can experience difficulty starting when exposed to extremely cold temperatures.
- Better Noise Control: While operating, all garage doors are expected to create noise. But the level of that sound can be lessened with an insulated garage door. The added layers help minimize the amount of noise created by your garage door while it’s opening and closing.
Reasons to Avoid Insulating a Garage Door Yourself
While researching the features of insulated garage doors, you may be tempted to upgrade the insulation of your garage door yourself — especially if you hope to reduce upfront costs or if your door is still in good condition. Adding insulation to your existing garage door is possible, but it may end up costing you more money and inconvenience in the future:
- Standard sectional garage doors aren’t designed to have added insulation installed. These materials are typically added to flat surfaces, and the decorative panels will cause the insulation form to bend, warp or fold.
- Being exposed to elements and regular use means the insulation you add to the door will flake away or unravel, and you’ll have to regularly incur the cost and time to replace the materials.
- Installing insulation will add weight to the door structure. Your garage door opener and hardware, like springs and cables, were designed to work with the existing weight of the door. Added ballast could cause these parts to prematurely wear or break.
Bend, OR, Insulated Garage Door Design and Installation Experts
When you’re ready to upgrade the look and functionality of your garage door, check out the selection of high-quality, attractive insulated garage doors available at Blankenship Garage Doors. Since 1996, we’ve been the premier garage door company serving Bend, OR, and its surrounding areas. We’re a proud Authorized Clopay® dealer dedicated to always providing our customers with the most dependable and functional garage door products and services, including installation, repair and maintenance.
Do I Really Need Garage Door Maintenance?
Many homeowners make the mistake of not having their garage doors and openers regularly inspected by a professional, which can lead to costly repairs and inconveniences — like being stuck outside of your garage or stranded inside of it. The garage door is likely the most accessed entrance of your home, and you want to ensure your garage door is working efficiently, reliably and safely.
To keep your garage door in pristine operational condition, garage door professionals recommend having a trained technician perform routine maintenance at least once every year. By having regular garage door maintenance, you can improve safety conditions, reduce and prevent repair costs and increase the life expectancy of your garage door, parts and hardware and garage door opener.
Is Garage Door Maintenance Necessary?
The short answer is yes. With regular maintenance performed by a professional once annually, you have the peace of mind of knowing your garage door is working smoothly and safely. By having preventative maintenance, you also benefit from:
- Cost Savings: On average, having maintenance tasks completed by a professional is less expensive than having frequent, last-minute repairs.
- Improved Safety: When a piece of hardware on your garage door breaks, it’s a safety hazard to yourself, your family and your possessions. Regular maintenance will ensure all safety mechanisms are working properly and that parts are less likely to fail unexpectedly.
- Longer Lifespan: Having a professional inspect all components of your garage door will extend the longevity of all parts and hardware. A technician can identify and replace parts that may be failing, improving the quality and operations of your door.
During our annual garage door tune-ups, we will check the springs for signs of wear or corrosion, tighten hardware, lubricate moving parts, remove debris buildup, inspect cables, check door balance and replace worn weatherstripping. As needed, your maintenance professional will make repair recommendations intended to ensure the safety and efficient operation of your door.
Why Can’t I Perform Garage Door Maintenance Myself?
While there are several preventative maintenance tasks homeowners can perform themselves to maintain the quality of their garage doors and openers — like clearing debris, tightening hardware, lubricating moving parts and noting unusual operational sounds — regular annual maintenance by a professional is important to ensure personal safety and thorough services. A trained and experienced garage door servicing professional has the knowledge to identify early signs of wear and tear and can recommend repairs to prevent hazardous and inconvenient future breakages.
Additionally, several components are incredibly dangerous to maintain without the proper tools and training. Garage doors are under an immense amount of weight and tension, and certain parts — like torsion or extension springs or cables — should be maintained by a professional to avoid personal injury or damages.
Contact Blankenship Garage Doors to Schedule Your Preventative Maintenance Check-Up
If you’re a homeowner in the Bend, OR area looking for comprehensive and knowledgeable garage door maintenance services, contact the experts at Blankenship Garage Doors today. We have more than 20 years of garage door maintenance, installation and repair experience, and we can service any make or model of garage door to ensure the safety and convenience of you and your family.
To learn more about our garage door maintenance plans or to schedule services, call us today at 541-383-2658 or fill out our online contact form to request information.