Trends That Increase Home Value
Trends That Increase Home Value
Whether you want to sell your home soon or are just planning for the future, you’ll want to find ways to increase your home’s value. Over time, your home’s value may decrease as it’s used and loved and lived in, but a sturdy and well-loved house doesn’t always sell on the market. That’s when you start to wonder how to add value to your home.
How to Increase Home Value
There are several ways to increase the value of your home, and many of them come down to keeping up with regular maintenance and repairs. Others are decor tips that can help make your home seem expansive and spacious. Whichever methods you choose, you can increase your home’s overall value.
Bigger homes are more likely to sell for more money than smaller homes, but that doesn’t mean you have to pay for massive renovations. Look around your home and see if you can knock down any walls to make the area feel and look bigger. Maybe adding a small half-bathroom somewhere will add usable square footage and convenience.
Perhaps it’s just a matter of how you arrange the furniture and the color you paint the walls. There are many tips and tricks to make your home look bigger and more spacious without resorting to renovations, so if you can’t increase the literal square footage of your home, you can at least make it seem larger to potential buyers. In general, lighter colors and lots of light help a space feel more expansive.
These days, energy efficiency can go a long way. More people are looking to change their habits to become more environmentally friendly and cost-effective, and they’re looking for energy-efficient homes as well.
If your home is already energy-efficient, you’re good to go. It’s a good idea to make sure there’s no way you could be even more efficient because energy efficiency is an excellent way to boost your home’s value.
If you’re unsure whether your home is energy efficient, you can find out by checking on several key energy-sucking features, including:
- Heating and cooling: Look at how much you spend on heating and cooling every year. Can you reduce this cost to preserve energy?
- Windows and doors: Make sure your windows and doors are installed properly so they don’t let heat out during the winter or in during the summer. Are the windows and doors insulated all over the house, or are there places where they could use the upgrade?
- Lighting: Technological advancements have made it so you can use energy-efficient lightbulbs without sacrificing brightness. The same level of brightness without the high energy cost should be reason enough to switch to energy-efficient lighting.
- Appliances: Just like lighting, there are now few reasons not to upgrade your appliances to be energy efficient. They save you money on your energy bills, and they work just as well — or better — than ones that aren’t energy efficient.
Solar panels are also an option for making your home energy efficient, but not every home is ideal for installing them. However, landscaping is another way to make your home more energy-efficient, and it’s a method many people forget. If your front or back hard has mature trees that shade your house, thus reducing your cooling costs, they will inevitably add value to your home.
One of the best ways to increase your house’s value is to reduce the level of maintenance it needs. A low-maintenance home is much more attractive to potential buyers, and you can offer this perk by updating the major appliances in your home.
This goes beyond a finicky stove or a refrigerator that’s reaching the end of its life cycle. If you have a leaky pipe or an air conditioner that makes awful noises, you’re better off replacing them with new items that won’t be fussy and cause the new owners any problems.
Go through your house and see what adds value to a home if updated. These can include water heaters, HVAC systems, garage doors or roofs that need repair.
It’s a good idea to walk through your home and note all the things that need repairing. Even seemingly small repairs can seem like a giant chore to new homeowners if there are many of them, so make sure they will have nothing to worry about when they move in.
You shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but many potential homebuyers do judge a house by its appearance, which is why curb appeal is so important. It’s your chance to make a good first impression and encourage homebuyers to see the interior of your home.
This can be as simple as making sure your yard is landscaped neatly and even pops out a little more than your neighbors’ yards. Make sure your house doesn’t have any chipped paint or anything unsightly front and center. Do any repairs or upgrades you’ve been putting off, including painting the front door or upgrading your garage door.
Benefits of Updating Your Garage Door
Updating your garage door can really help increase the value of your home. If you’re wondering how much value a garage door adds to a house, just think of when you were buying your home. Would you have considered a home that had a garage without a door? A garage that was totally open to the world, revealing all your belongings to every passerby? Probably not.
Here are some examples of how updating your garage door can add value to your house:
- Appearance: We talked about curb appeal, and the garage door plays a large part in your home’s appearance, especially if your garage is at the front of your house.
- Security: You may not keep your most valuable items in your garage, but you still want to ensure your possessions are secure. Plus, if your garage is attached to your home, you’ll want to be extra vigilant about security to ensure that your possessions and your family remain safe.
- Energy: Older garage doors that aren’t insulated will inevitably increase your utility bills. Along with the other energy-efficient methods you put into place to increase your home’s value, add an updated garage door to that as well. This is especially crucial if you have rooms above your garage.
- Value: Newer garage doors are modern and sturdy, with a higher lifespan, so they’re a great long-term investment. Plus, you can have your garage door match your home’s style to increase the curb appeal further.
Replace Your Garage Door With Blankenship Garage Door
If you’re looking to increase your home’s value, a simple upgrade of your garage door can do wonders for you. At Blankenship Garage Door, we’re proud to offer high-quality residential garage doors so you can increase your home’s value without fuss.
Get in touch to talk about your garage door update by filling out our online contact form or calling (541) 383-2658.
Should I Renovate My Garage Door?
Why Should I Renovate My Garage Door?
While a functioning garage door is essential, if you drive up to your garage and the door doesn’t look as stunning as it once did, you need a renovation. Maybe you never notice your garage door’s appearance or aren’t sure if a renovation is right for your home. In that case, you’ll need some reasons to upgrade your garage door. Find answers to why you should renovate your garage door below.
How to Upgrade a Garage Door
When it comes to renovating your garage door, you have a handful of options for what you can change and the scale of the project. You can either work with your existing door or get a new door entirely. Upgrades to your garage door will let you:
- Change the color: Choose a single neutral color to revamp the look of your garage door. You may even want to choose a color that complements your house’s exterior to make it appear larger.
- Add hardware: If you want to add to your transformed garage door or subtly change the look, add hardware in a contrasting color. Two vertical handles in the center can give the look of a carriage house door, while a horizontal handle at the bottom will add a useful detail of color and texture.
- Pick a new material: From steel and wood to a combination of aluminum and glass, the materials in a garage door can influence the overall look of the door. Certain materials suit different home styles, so consider your home’s overall look as you choose.
- Try a new style: If you want a new garage door look, why not go with something completely new? Try a sophisticated and rustic carriage house door, or break up your house’s facade with windows in your garage door.
Reasons to Upgrade a Garage Door
With various ways to upgrade your garage door, there also are plenty of reasons to do so. The benefits of a new or renovated garage door include the ability to:
1. Improve Curb Appeal
A garage door can take up about 30% of a home’s facade. With such a large space on your home to work with, a renovation can have dramatic results for your curb appeal. Improving the curb appeal of your home can make you happier with the look of your house. You can feel a sense of pride with your transformed garage door, falling in love with your home all over again.
Improving your curb appeal is also a great solution for homeowners looking to sell in the future. While what’s inside your house will also matter, the first impression your home makes to potential buyers is the view from the street. If you have a garage door with broken windows, chipped paint or other unsightly issues, a potential buyer may not feel welcomed. They want a home that’s beautiful and ready to go, and a refreshed or renovated garage door can do the trick.
2. Change the Style of Your Home
Because your garage door is such a significant component of your home’s exterior, it influences the overall style of your house. If you’re looking to make a change in how your home looks on the outside, don’t forget about your garage. Whether you want to restore your home to its previous classic style, upgrade it into the modern age or refresh it with new colors, including the garage door in your renovation is a must.
Some style changes may call for an entirely new garage door, especially if you’re going from a traditional to modern look or vice versa. If you’re altering the color of your home’s exterior, renovating your garage door can help it change with your home and emphasize your new intended aesthetic.
3. Increase the Value of Your Home
Potential buyers will love the look of your renovated garage door and exterior, and that means they may pay more. When you get a new garage door or repair and renovate yours, you bring these benefits to the value of your home:
- An insulated garage door makes your home more energy efficient, and green initiatives and money-saving upgrades are important for many home buyers.
- A new garage door or refurbishing your door shows your care and attention to detail for your home.
- You solve safety and security problems when you repair your garage door, which makes potential home buyers feel safe.
According to Remodeling Magazine’s Cost vs. Value report, a garage door replacement delivers the highest return on investment in terms of home projects and resale value. In 2019, the national average for the recovered cost of a garage door replacement was 97.5%, the highest of 22 home remodeling projects.
Remodeling Magazine also measures regional data, and in the Pacific, the average recovered cost was 123.8%. That means homeowners in the Pacific region with new garage doors made their money back and then some.
4. Get a Better Quality Door
Here’s one of the biggest benefits of a new garage door. An older door may be visually unappealing and unsafe. If you upgrade your door with a replacement, you can eliminate the issues that come with an older door, like:
- A faulty opening system
- Poor insulating abilities
Some of those fixes will come with a total replacement that includes your garage door and the opener system. Your needs may not be that extreme. When an expert inspects and replaces your garage door, they’ll have insight into whether you need a total replacement.
Repairing or Renovating vs. Replacing Your Door
You may not have severe issues with your current garage door. Maybe you just want it to have a new or refreshed style. In that case, you may save on cost with renovations if you’re content with the material and look of your current door.
An older or damaged door may present more problems. There may be aesthetic and functional components that aren’t looking and working as they should. Professional garage door repairs and services are an option, but a professional can evaluate whether the right choice for you would be a repair or an entirely new door.
Replace Your Garage Door With Blankenship Garage Doors
If seeing the benefits of a new garage door has you envisioning a renovation for your home, we at Blankenship Garage Doors can help. We transform customers’ homes in Central Oregon with high-quality residential garage doors in a wide array of styles. For more than 20 years, we’ve brought durability, performance and stylish products to our customers, and we’d be delighted to transform your home with the same level of quality.
Contact us today for your garage door estimate!