How to Detect Garage Door Scams
When your garage door stops working, you need to find someone who can help with repairs fast. Ideally, you would be able to find a reputable repair service right away. Unfortunately, however, some people are eager to take advantage of homeowners in need of emergency repairs, so it’s important to remain vigilant when choosing a repair company.
When you search for a repair service online, it’s possible that you’ll come across scam companies designed to lure in desperate customers and overcharge for unnecessary repairs. In order to protect yourself from potentially costly charges, use this guide to detect garage door scams and identify reputable companies in your area.
Warning Signs of a Garage Door Scam
A reputable repair company wants to build positive, lasting relationships with customers. Scam companies, on the other hand, focus on tricking first-time customers. This means scam companies operate very differently from reputable services.
In your preliminary search for a repair professional, look out for these common scam warning signs:
- Generic or Inconsistent Branding: Many scam companies operate under multiple names to avoid detection. Avoid companies with generic-sounding names or that use different names online than in their advertising.
- Claims That Seem Too Good to Be True: Companies that offer low service call fees and claim their parts come with “lifetime guarantees” often turn out to be scams. Evaluate too-good-to-be-true offers carefully before calling.
- Pressure to Purchase: When you have a reputable technician over to examine your garage door, they’ll likely show you damaged parts and explain any necessary repairs. However, they’ll never pressure you to agree to their suggestions. Pressure to purchase, especially without sufficient explanation, could indicate you’re dealing with a scammer.
How to Avoid Getting Scammed
You can take several steps to avoid accidentally hiring a scammer. By following these recommendations, you can detect scam companies and hire a reputable service instead:
- Ask Questions: When you first contact a garage door repair service, ask for the name of the company and their street address and double check their answers. If the name provided differs from what you expected or if they struggle to provide this information, hang up and try contacting another service.
- Read Online Reviews: Look beyond company websites for reviews — scammers can easily falsify website testimonials. Try looking on sites like Angie’s List for reviews from legitimate users instead.
- Choose a Verified Dealer: Many disreputable companies lack certification. Search for companies with proof of International Door Association (IDA) membership and Institution of Door Dealer Education and Accreditation (IDEA) certification. You can also check a company’s reliability by making sure they’re listed on their garage door manufacturer’s website.
Find a Garage Door Repair Service You Can Trust
It’s an unfortunate fact that disreputable repair services exist across the United States and Canada. By educating yourself and exercising caution, you can avoid scams and find a reputable company to help you with garage door repairs.
At Blankenship Garage Doors, we’re dedicated to providing excellent service to our clients as a proud member of the Central Oregon Builders Association and the IDA. If you’re looking for a garage door company you can trust, call Blankenship today and learn how we can help.