How to Know When You Need Garage Door Repair
Is your garage door not operating as smoothly, efficiently and reliably as it used to? Most homeowners use their garage doors every day to easily leave and enter their homes. But with constant use, experiencing garage door wear and tear is normal. The best way to know when you need garage door repairs — to prevent inconvenient and potentially hazardous garage door breakage — is to note any unusual operation or sounds that may indicate trouble.
Do You Need Garage Door Repairs?
While garage doors are designed and constructed to perform dependably for up to 20 years with proper maintenance and care, damaged hardware can occur over time. As you notice operational issues, address these needs quickly to reduce emergency repair costs and prevent inconvenient events that could leave you stranded outside your garage.
To know whether you need garage door repair, note the following signs:
- Noisy Door Operations: Garage doors usually make noise while operating, so how can you tell when the sounds from your door or opener are unusual? While using your garage door, listen for any unpleasant sounds like straining, grating, rubbing or grinding. These could indicate damage to your garage door opener motor or worn and loose pieces of hardware, like the rollers or springs.
- Door Won’t Open Manually: While you may not have to manually open your garage door often, being able to do so is crucial in cases of door failure or during a power outage. If you cannot easily lift your garage door by hand, then you may have issues with your spring system. Springs are responsible for counterbalancing the weight of your door and ensuring smooth and simple opening and closing. They typically last up to 10 years.
- Slow Door Response: After sending a command to your garage door, it should respond without delay within two seconds. If your door hesitates to raise and lower when instructed, it could indicate that your remote battery is dead, a malfunction with your remote or a damaged opener.
- Sagging or Off-Balance Garage Door: Check if there are gaps beneath the door or if it is visibly sagging. Garage doors with gaps beneath the seal could indicate misalignment, an improperly installed door or uneven spring wear. These damages could lead to minor issues like damaged hardware or serious, unexpected breakages. One way to check the condition of your door is by performing a balance test: unlatch your door from the opener and lift the door halfway on its track. If the door springs open or closed, the door is off-balance.
- Dented or Damaged Door Panels: Damaged garage doors aren’t only unattractive, but can also affect the overall quality and functionality of your system. Dented garage door panels could cause affect your door’s alignment and overall door balance, cause strain on other parts and hardware and damage the track, eventually leading the door to become off-track.
Blankenship Garage Doors: Bend, OR’s Most Trusted Garage Door Repair Specialists
For the most experienced, friendly and efficient garage door repair and maintenance services throughout the Bend, OR, area, rely on the professionals at Blankenship Garage Doors. We have over 20 years of garage door servicing experience and are dedicated to providing all of our local customers with the most reliable, affordable and personalized repair solutions. Schedule garage door repair services today by completing our online service request form or call 541-383-2658 to speak to a team member.